08 June 2015|
Formula DRIFT Round 3: Unchartered Territory Results; Ryan Tuerck Takes the Victory
Words by John Pangilinan. Photos by Larry Chen
Formula DRIFT presented by GoPro entered Orlando Speed World for the first time for Round 3: Unchartered Territory. Ryan Tuerck in the Retaks / Maxxis Scion FR-S takes the event victory and moves into second place in the standings.
Round 3: Unchartered Territory lived up to its moniker as the Series entered Orlando Speed World for the first time. 637,000 viewers tuned into the Driftstream during the weekend and were not disappointed. Despite the inclement weather, the action on track was very competitive. The new track would prove to be challenging even for the most seasoned of veterans.
"?We were happily surprised with the at capacity crowd attendance for our first time at Orlando Speed World,?" says Jim Liaw, President of Formula DRIFT. ?"Florida has always been a key demographic for the Series and now I think we have found a sweet spot in Central Florida.?"
The event was full of upsets and surprises. The semi-finals was a rematch from the last event with defending champion, Chris Forsberg in the NOS Energy Drink / Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z and Ken Gushi in the GReddy Racing / Hankook Tire Scion Racing FR-S going head to head. On Forsberg's lead run contact was made that was ruled to be Gushi?s fault giving him a zero. During the same run, but unrelated to the cars' contact, Forsberg'?s vehicle caught on fire which forced Forsberg to utilize his fire suppression system. That then led to his car being non-operational from that point forward. Forsberg was awarded the win over Gushi and was set to meet Tuerck in the Finals, but unable to continue through the competition due to the complications with his car, Forsberg was forced to bow out giving Tuerck the victory to move him into second place in the standings. Gushi moves up to fourth place and Forsberg into third place overall while securing both their second consecutive podium finishes.
"?The weekend had its ups and downs. We barely moved on in the Top 32 and then moved on against Yokoi when his car caught on fire. The only battle we then had was in the semi-finals against Matt Field. Then against Forsberg?, his car caught on fire and he couldn't continue and I got the win on a technicality,:? said Ryan Tuerck, winner of Round 3: Unchartered Territory. "?A wins a win. Thanks to my team they worked hard regardless and it feels good to secure a little bit of a points gap.?"
The 2015 Formula DRIFT season will continue to Round 4: The Gauntlet on June 26-27 at Wall Speedway in New Jersey. For more information visit: www.formuladrift.com and find Formula DRIFT on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. Tune into Formula DRIFT on CBS Sports and check your local listings for airtimes.
Round 3: Unchartered Territory Event Results
1. Tuerck, Ryan Ryan Tuerck Racing / Retaks / Maxxis Scion FR-S Winner
2. Forsberg, Chris NOS Energy Drink / Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z 2nd Place
3. Gushi, Ken GReddy Racing / Hankook Tire Scion Racing FR-S 3rd Place
4. Field, Matt CX Racing / Yokohama Tire Nissan S14 4th Place
5. Mordaunt, Pat DriftPaddock.com / Falken Tire Nissan 350Z 5th Place
6. Gittin, Vaughn Monster Energy / Nitto Tire Ford Mustang RTR 6th Place
7. Yokoi, Masashi D-Max Nissan S15 7th Place
8. Hohnadell, Alec 11 Racing Nissan S14 8th Place
9. McQuarrie, Tyler GoPro / Mobil 1 Chevrolet Camaro 9th Place
10. Bakchis, Aurimas Feal Suspension / ARK Performance / Nitto Nissan 240SX 10th Place
11. Whiddett, Mike Red Bull Mazda MX-5 11th Place
12. Nishida, Robbie Achilles Radial Infiniti G37S 12th Place
13. Evans, James SIKKY Racing Nissan 350Z 13th Place
14. Moen, Kenny Bridges Racing / Achilles / Gatebil Nissan S14 14th Place
15. Kearney, Dean Oracle Lighting / Achilles Motorsports Dodge Viper 15th Place
16. Castro, Jhonnattan E3 / Hankook / Progreso Nissan 370Z 16th Place
2015 Formula DRIFT Championship Presented by GoPro Top 3 Standings After Three Events
1. Bakchis, Aurimas Feal Suspension / ARK Performance / Nitto Nissan 240SX 223.00 Points
2. Forsberg, Chris NOS Energy Drink / Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z 208.00 Points
3. Gushi, Ken GReddy Racing / Hankook Tire Scion Racing FR-S 189.00 Points
Manufacturers Championship Standings After Three Rounds
1. Scion 471.00 Points
2. Nissan 261.00 Points
3. Ford 234.00 Points
4. Chevrolet 179.00 Points
5. Mazda 125.00 Points
6. Toyota 87.00 Points
7. Infiniti 85.00 Points
8. Dodge 70.00 Points
9. BMW 52.00 Points
Tire Championship Standings After Three Rounds
1. Hankook 449.00 Points
2. Nitto 362.00 Points
3. Maxxis 188.00 Points
4. Falken 278.00 Points
5. Achilles 272.00 Points
6. Yokohama 259.00 Points
7. GT Radial 143.00 Points
For more photos by Larry Chen, go to http://news.formulad.com/2015-gallery.
ABOUT FORMULA DRIFT
In its twelfth season, Formula DRIFT is recognized as the leading international drifting championship. Established on the streets of Japan, drifting has evolved into a worldwide competitive sport that challenges each driver's driving ability and vehicle control. Formula DRIFT provides a forum for professional drifters to compete nationwide for the coveted Formula DRIFT Championship crown. As the first official series in North America, Formula DRIFT has taken competitive motorsports to the extreme, attracting fans and car enthusiasts from all walks of life and establishes itself as the world-wide leader for the Sport. For a competition schedule and ticket information, visit: www.formuladrift.com.