Photography by Ray Flores
With 79% of the Popular Vote, Michael Isperov is the winner of the PASMAG Tuner Battlegrounds award category at Parking Garage Party.
Like many of us, Michael Isperov had loved the RX-7 FD platform as long as he could remember. When he was looking for something RWD and boosted, he stumbled upon an opportunity that he couldn’t pass up - an immaculate 1993 Mazda RX-7 FD shell. As soon as he found it, he picked it up right away, and the long process began.
Starting with a shell gave Isperov the opportunity to build the RX-7 exactly how he always wanted it. A 1999 front bumper with a carbon fiber lip, Mazdaspeed rear spoiler, and a VIS carbon fiber hood, the car was on the right path to a clean and sleek look.
Other additions down the line would include Car Shop Glow LED tail lights and front markets, Hot Water Labs sleek headlights, and carbon fiber side steps and diffuser. A set of 18-inch Volk Racing TE37SL wheels completed the classic style.
Pop the hood and you’re met with a 13B street ported rotary, just as the rotary gods intended. This engine is mated to a Borg Warner S362 turbocharger and an ETS intercooler. ID2000 injectors, AEM smart coils, Full Function fuel rails and dual Walbro 450 fuel pumps with a flex fuel kit keep the engine running at its maximum potential, churning out an impressive 538 horses.
These days you can catch Isperov cruising around Elgin, Illinois, taking in the scenic roads or competing at local shows. He has plans to add even more power in the future, so we’ll be keeping a close eye on this build as time goes on.
Michael Isperov's 1993 Mazda RX-7 is featured in PASMAG #153. Click HERE to order.
- Borg Warner S362 turbo
- ETS intercooler
- Samco sport hoses
- Tial (Q BOV, MVR wastegate)
- K&N air filter
- Dual oil coolers
- Full Function (fuel rails, trigger wheel)
- Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator
- Walbro 440 fuel pumps (2)
- CJ Motorsports dual hanger
- Bosch 2000cc injectors
- Haltech (flex fuel, Elite 1500 ECU)
- NGK spark plugs
- MSD wires
- AEM smart coils
- GReddy intake elbow
- Custom (3-inch downpipe, 3-inch exhaust w/ Vibrant muffler)
- ACT Xtreme Street clutch kit
- B&M short shifter
WHEELS / TIRES / BRAKES
- Volk Racing TE37SL wheels - 18x9.5 +22 (f), 18x10.5 +22 ®
- Hankook Ventus V12 tires - 225/40/18 (f), 265/35/18 ®
- StopTech drilled rotors
- Elite Rotary Shop ABS delete kit
- Stainless braided brake lines
CHASSIS / SUSPENSION
- Stance Super Sport coilovers
- Powdercoated front strut bar
- J-Auto (rear toe arms, rear camber arms)
- Poly bushings
- 1999 RX-7 front bumper
- Group A Motoring (carbon 1999 front lip, rear carbon diffuser)
- Carbon side diffusers
- VIS carbon hood
- Mazdaspeed spoiler
- Hot Water Labs (sleek headlights, carbon rear bumper lights)
- Car Shop Glow (LED front marker lights, rear chasing LED tail lights)
- Arc titanium shift knob
- Miata steering wheel
- Haltech A/F gauge
- Autometer gauges (boost, water temp, fuel pressure, oil pressure)
- Black leather interior
AUDIO / MOBILE ELECTRONICS
- Pioneer App Radio 4 head unit
- Alpine door speakers
- XS Power battery
- Elite Rotary Shop