Photography by Joan Santana (@santanavisualz)
When Derrick Antes was younger, his mom had an E30 M3. At the time, he never knew exactly what that car was, "but I knew I loved it," he remembers. Antes' dad used to race go-karts, "I remember when he would take me around the neighborhood in one," he mentions, "I loved the adrenaline rush going around corners and going off-roading."
Antes fell in love with the Fast and Furious series and various car games. He would spend hours customizing and creating different cars to his liking. When looking for a car, he was originally looking for something AWD to handle the snow. "I was in between an Evo and an STi, but I went with the 2012 Subaru Impreza WRX STi," he mentions. Not only has his STi been a great car, but he loves what Subaru values and what they do for the community.
"I started to add my personality to it in order to make it unique," he states. Antes went to car meets and met people, whom he now calls friends, that helped him take his car to the next level. As the years went on, his build continued to evolve into what it is now.
"The past few years were tough as some things didn't go as planned," he mentions, "however, now I'm glad to be able to really enjoy my car again."
"I’m a physical therapist, and I work directly with patients to help them recover towards their prior level of function, and improve their quality of life," Antes expresses. "I work in an outpatient orthopedic facility which focuses on mostly musculoskeletal injuries."
During the coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic, Antes and the team in Las Vegas, NV have started to offer telehealth as a service for their patients. While this may benefit some, many still come into the clinic for more hands-on care, which includes manual therapy. "We’ve taken extra precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19," Antes states, "but as health care professionals, there is still risk involved." As scary as this is, there are still patients who count on them to help them to walk without a limp, to be able to use their arm overhead, or to help get rid of their neck/back pain.
Antes comes from a family of First Responders. "I ask that we all do our parts to stay safe," he expresses, "even though some are still working, in this fight, everyone is essential to reducing the spread of the coronavirus."
"Additionally, before you load up on pain medications or rush into surgery, give physical therapy a try," Antes states. "It may not be easy or as simple as taking a pill, but it will be much better for you in the long run. Let's address what is truly causing your symptoms, and let's not just sweep it under the rug with medication."
If anyone has any questions regarding physical therapy, feel free to contact him.
PASMAG: What is your favorite aspect of the build?
Derrick Antes: I've loved everything about my build, from the Bride seats to my Varis kit.
Were there any major challenges you experienced in the build? How did you overcome them?
Definitely. If there's one thing I've learned, it's to go through companies and shops that you trust 100%. Some of the various challenges are stories for another time.
What were your original intentions with the build?
To make this car my own. I wanted it to stand out from any other build.
Why did you choose certain brands for your build?
Varis for the quality, creativity, and hard work they put into making this kit. I want to support authenticity.
What influences or inspiration helped you over the course of your build?
All of the friends that I have made along the way, especially my friends from Def Sik.
Owner: Derrick Antes
Location: Henderson, NV
Vehicle: 2012 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Club: Def Sik
ENGINE & PERFORMANCE
- ID1300cc Fuel Injectors
- DW300c Fuel Pump
- Cavalli Stage 2 Turbo
- Crawford Air Oil Separator
- Killer B Oil Pick Up Tube
- Mishimoto Front Mount Intercooler
- Mishimoto Intake
- Mishimoto Radiator+Radiator Hoses
- Invidia Up Pipe with Tial 38mm EWG
- IAG TGV Deletes
- Torque Solution Fuel Rails
- Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator
- Hydrodipped Engine Bay Components
- Invidia Catless Downpipe
- Invidia Q300 Exhaust
- Cobb Accessport V3
- Delicious Tuning Flex Fuel V2 Kit
- Delicious Tuning Electronic Boost Control Solenoid
- AEM A/F Wideband 52mm Gauge
- AEM Oil Pressure 52mm Gauge
- AEM Boost 52mm Gauge
- 2015+ Sti 13:1 Steering Rack
- Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings
- Cusco Power Steering Brace
- Agency Power Pitch Stop
- Kartboy Rear Shifter Bushing
- ITS Brace
- Exedy Stage 1 HD Organic Clutch
WHEELS & TIRES
- Enkei RS05RR wheels - 18x11 +16
- Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 2 tires - 275/35/18
- R1 Concepts Big Brake Kit, Turqoise - 356mm 6 Piston (f), 345mm 4 piston (r)
CHASSIS & SUSPENSION
- Air Lift Performance Struts and 3P Management
- Whiteline 22mm Adjustable Swaybars (f/r)
- Whiteline Adjustable Balllink Endlinks
- Whiteline Anti-lift Kit
- Whiteline Rear Adjustable Lower Control Arms
- Whiteline Rear Adjustable Toe Arms
- Varis V2 Widebody kit, Molded
- Painted Porsche Chalk Grey
- Custom Headlights
- Illumaesthetic LED Taillights, Fog Lights, F1 Light
- Bride Digo Type R
- Bride Brix II
- Bride Interior Trim, Pillows
- Hydrodipped Interior Trim
- GTSpec D Shaped Steering Wheel
- Bride Seat Rails
- SMY Gauge Cluster+SPT Gauge Cluster
AUDIO & MULTIMEDIA
- Pioneer AVHX3800BHS 2-DIN Receiver
- Kicker 43CSS654 6.5" Component Speakers (4)
- Kicker KSC404 4" Coaxial speakers (2)
- Kicker CWRT122 12" Subwoofers (2)
- Kicker KX8001 Amplifier
- Kicker KX2002 Amplifier
- Delicious Tuning
- DSG Performance
- R1 Concepts
- M2 Motoring
- Level Up Visions
SHOPS & MECHANICS